We think the imagination is linked to childhood, everyone uses more or less the imagination. Can you imagine a world without imagination, a place where dragons exist, where the grandparents give no stories about their lives or where the parents tell no tales. A world without “Little Red Riding Hood” without “The Little Prince” or without the movie “Pirates of the Caribbean”. The imagination creates wellbeing, makes technological progress possible and creates illusion. Let go the imagination to power.
What is imagination?
Imagination is the mental ability to manipulate previously obtained information an to create the senses and imaginary scenes, objects or events that do not exist. These representations are made by the imagination an are not reality. “The imagination takes previous elements and experiments and transforms them into new incentives and realities” https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginación.
We all have the ability to imagine something. For some people it is highly developed and is weaker for others. This ability allows you to train and grow.
How do we use the imagination?
We use imagination in three ways.
1. Imagine a sound, a taste, a smell, a feeling or emotion
You can imagine a sound, a smell, a taste, a physical sensation, a feeling or an emotion. For some people it’s easier to see mental images, for others to imagine a feeling or sensation. Imagination training increases the ability to combine all these elements and thus to invent something new.
2. Imagine something that will happen in the future
We use our imagination in our daily lives, in everything we want to do in the future, whenever we have a party, a trip or schedule a meeting. We use it when we explain how anyone can come to a street, when we listen to a story, as we describe an object, when we read a book, or when we hear a song.
When visualizing an object or an event this is going to be part of our lives. Imagining a successful situation makes it easier for it to be realized, it opens possibilities. It is easier to take the driving test if we imagine that we will do it well.
Fantasizing is the power that enables us to transform, combine and create new images we have in our heads. Fantasizing has a higher level than just the production of images. By imagination thrives the world of art, literature, painting, architecture and music. The originality of their creations are different and full of imaginative content.
Relationship between imagination, creativity and innovation
Creativity is the ability to make something. Creativity is not only artistic, it can also be scientific or mathematical.
The difference between imagination and creativity is that the first is more abstract, the second practical. A person can spend the day imagining events and things without any further action, but a person is considered creative if he puts into practice what he has imagined. Creativity put the imagination to work.
Creativity goes beyond that. The best creative ideas turn to innovate. The world is changing so fast that businesses are very interested in innovation. Innovation is possible thanks to the creativity, creativity comes from the imagination.
Albert Einstein said:
“Imagination is more important than knowledge”
What are the benefits for people with a good imagination? 10 reasons to encourage this
1. Thanks to the imagination problems are recognized and resolved more quickly. It helps to integrate the experience with the knowledge to find new solutions and we do not just limit ourselves to the theoretical aspect.
2. Thanks to the imagination you have more empathy, you have better relationships with others. Imagination helps in social skills.
3. Have more confidence in your abilities and reach your goals sooner.
4. You distinguish yourself from others, you make the difference.
5. Imagination encourages creativity. It generates more ideas which in turn allows for the creation of inventions, artistic works or business ideas.
6. It stimulates innovation. Without imagination we would not live in the modern world, and not use the innovative devices. Leonardo da Vinci would a never have imagined a plane or Jules Verne never would have written his book “Around the World in 80 Days”. Imagination is a relationship between concepts and ideas in an innovative way.
7. With imagination, you can enjoy more artistic experience and expression and
therefore your creative ability is inspired again.
8. Provides the ability to view every situation from different angles.
9. It allows you to explore the past and to imagine the future. It plays an important role in our mental health, and thanks to the imagination, we can give a positive approach to our experiences. It is a great tool for recreating and remodeling your world, your life.
10. It helps in thinking skills, and language skills.
Imagination is powerful. To practice it is fun.
In future blog articles, I will discuss how you can train and improve it by stimulating.
Meanwhile, you may read this fanciful book, “Alice in Wonderland” by Lewis Carroll.
The images in this article are part of one of my graduation art projects at the Academy of Fine Arts, based on the book by Lewis Carroll’s “Alice in Wonderland”, a fascinating book.
Photos, artworks: Ángeles Nieto
Other articles related to the topic that you might interest you:
10 CREATIVE TECHNIQUES TO GET IDEAS
10 KEYS TO FIND CREATIVE INSPIRATION
THE VALUE OF CREATIVITY
THE PICASSO MYSTERY, HIS CREATIVE PROCESS